1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Torn Camping Clothes?

Discussion in 'Attire' started by camping, Aug 9, 2016.

1. camping

camping Newbie

My friends and I often carve out our own path when it comes to camping and in the process, go through some very dense wilderness.

Often-times, in spite of wearing camping clothes, we often end-up tearing them by getting them stuck in the bushes.
    My question is, are there any specific clothes, which would last longer and not get torn off under such circumstances?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yes definitely, thicker materials without any fine threads that can get caught on things are usually better. Although depending on the weather that might not be a compromise you want to make. Materials like denim and khaki are pretty good for pants. Depending on where you are trekking you might want long pants or at least high socks to protect your legs. Also when it comes to fit, well fitted is usually better than baggy.

3. missyify

missyify Survivalist

That's what I do is wearing tight fitting clothes that I can still move around in. Then some taller boots so my pants tuck in to them. Duct tape? That's what snowboarders do at least lol.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

4. camping

camping Newbie

I have tried khaki with the same result that is getting torn but I guess I will move on to denims from now on, if they can last longer.

Yes, that is another thing which I need to change because due to the pockets in the clothes, my clothes are often baggy and I would try to change them to fitting ones from now on, to ensure that they don't get caught up that easily.

5. missyify

missyify Survivalist

There is also another fabric that a lot of work clothes is made out of... All that's coming to mind is cotton duck which is like canvas. I think it's either the same or similar. It seems pretty sturdy though I've never personally owned anything like it.

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, I had a couple of brothers in the military. They would give me their old pants, fatigues I think they were called. They were loose fitting and very durable. I could run through a briar patch and not tear the pants. I think they were cotton. Of course that was a fewwww years ago I could be a little mistaken.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Oh good idea! Military surplus stores. Heck I might even do that myself. I can alter a pair.

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I don't know what kind of fabric you have for that camping clothes. I had been to trails similar to what you described with the bushes that have thorns. My usual attire for that kind of terrain is the denim pants or the corduroy. The thick fabric gives protection to my skin and it is sturdy as to withstand the thorns and the sharp branches of the bushes. During my scouting days, it was the khaki pants that was the uniform. It also has a thick fabric.

Draft saved Draft deleted