1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Vintage items & camping traditions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by actadh, May 27, 2015.

1. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

My parents introduced me to camping. Dad passed a few years ago and never met his great grandkids. Mom passed in March on the first day of spring. She had a lovely Valentine's Day party with my daughter's two kids before she went into hospice. They still talk about it.

Those grandkids will be visiting my campsite later today. I brought two of my parents containers with me, keeping the camping tradition alive. A Tam O' Shanter fiberglass/tin cooler and a Fresh -O-Later coffee storage tin used for my tea bags.

What vintage items do you bring to carry on a camping tradition?

Northern Dancer likes this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

That is really moving @actadh - thank you so very much for sharing it with us.

I take ashes from my last campfire and place them in a small wooden box - marked with my totem [bear] on it - the first campfire of the new season I bring it back and place it on top of the new fire.

3. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

I like your tradition, Northern Dancer!

campforums likes this.
  4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

When I used to go camping with my mom and dad, we had one of those woven picnic baskets, with a wooden lid. My mom had special light plastic camping plates that we only used for camping, and the camping plates were always kept stored in the picnic basket.
    They were the popular pastel colors of the early fifties, light yellow, blue, pink, and green. The plates were divided into three sections, and the cups had little "legs" on the bottom so that they fitted right into the center of the divisions. It helped a lot to keep your cup from spilling and you didn't have to carry it separate.
    Of course, Mom also had the cast iron pans that she used to cook on over the campfire, and those pancakes were the best ones that I have ever eaten in my whole life !

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Me too

@Northern Dancer, is the wooden box something you made? Maybe something we could see here? https://campingbabble.com/threads/carpentry-stuff.816/

I really like the look of those picnic baskets, nowadays everyone uses plastic coolers though because they are more durable I guess and they are better at insulating the food to keep it cool. I remember watching Yogi bear though and seeing those types of old fashioned picnic baskets and thinking why nobody uses them, I guess they aren't very good for keeping the bears away :bear:

yogi-bear-basket-hdrimg-1.jpg

happyflowerlady likes this.
  6. Northern Dancer

7. campforums

True, I have a couple of those boxes for storing little things

A couple of them I have painted with varnish since they come unpainted

8. Northern Dancer

_____________________________________________________________ - :)

"Me thinks" you are a hidden [or maybe not so hidden] hobbyist?

9. campforums

Eh perhaps, although it is mostly when I see something that would be really easy to do and usually cannot resist doing it. So it is not so much that I do a lot of work with wood but in this case I thought a few coats of varnish would be nice to add.

10. Northern Dancer

_____________________________________________________________________- :)

It's obvious that you are an interesting and creative person.

campforums likes this.
  11. Northern Dancer

12. campforums

Haha man, if you want to compliment me I am not going to disagree with you but really it was just a little varnish and a paint brush :p

Draft saved Draft deleted