1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

What do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Attire' started by missyify, Aug 8, 2016.

1. missyify

missyify Survivalist

There are a lot of options out there now for camping/outdoor attire and it seems I've barely scratched the surface. For everyday use, I normally wear a lot of cotton clothes, which kind of sucks for being outside, especially in heat. I saw a recent sale on bamboo clothing and found I like that a lot. I've also seen some clothing made from recycled plastic bottles, but I feel like that might be warm? I haven't tried that type of fabric, yet...

I'm definitely "that woman" who lives in yoga pants and other athletic clothes. The world is my gym! And I have kids to chase. So I don't get along with denim and other stiff fabrics or anything else that restricts movement unless absolutely necessary.

Does anyone have suggestions or info? I think my next purchase will be hiking pants.

2. gracer

gracer Explorer

Hi @missyify! :) Well, I'm not really an expert when it comes to this but I do think that you're doing it right by choosing athletic clothes because they don't restrict movement and most athletic clothes I know of allow the movement of air into the skin, which helps dry the skin from sweat. I too would never wear denims or any other restrictive clothing when I hike.

missyify likes this.
  3. missyify

missyify Survivalist

There's one pair of yoga pants from Betabrand that I really love. Their "business casual" yoga pants are perfect for being outside in cooler weather because they're thick with a non-elastic waistband. I was pretty sad I got caulk on mine, but now I can feel better about being outside in them.

Summer is really what I'm having the issue with since it gets 100s and humid over here. In fact we had to leave our camping trip a day early because of the heat (my youngest has bad eczema and he has to be completely covered most of the time). I'd like to find him some bamboo clothes, but they're hard to find in his size. Supposedly "the best" fabric for eczema sufferers.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

gracer likes this.
  4. gracer

gracer Explorer

That's too bad. Eczema could be really uncomfortable especially for children. As a mother myself, I really feel sorry that your youngest son suffers from it. I also heard that bamboo clothes are indeed the perfect type of clothing for people suffering from eczema. There's the natural cotton and silk fabrics but bamboo is the most recommended clothing for eczema. I hope you all were able to enjoy your camping though despite having to cut it off earlier than it should be. :)

5. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Yeah he's had it since he was a baby. The pediatrician and allergist put him on steroids and now he's going through withdrawal which is actually worse than his normal eczema. I'm going to keep looking for clothes for him. So far the only thing I've found is his scratch sleeves (they have mittens) are bamboo. I have some bamboo fabric that I need to make some clothes for him, but I need to make a new pattern since he grew. We did have fun, though.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

6. gracer

gracer Explorer

@missyify I'm really sorry to hear about your son's withdrawal condition. I know how hard it is for a mom like you to see your child in any uncomfortable situation. Good thing there are fabrics made especially for eczema prone skin, although they might be hard to find. I'm glad to see and hear that you all had fun in your camping trip though. :)

missyify likes this.
  7. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

Im not sure why, but I prefer to wear cotton, to any other type of material. If it is hot out, I will wear a light colored cotton. The bamboo clothes make me itchy and is uncomfy, in my opinion. I have known others to love it though.

Draft saved Draft deleted