1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Where do you shop for your camping attire?

Discussion in 'Attire' started by Francy, Jun 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Francy

Francy Newbie

Where do you normally shop for your camping apparel? We normally shop at Cabelas when we get out of town, otherwise we shop online.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

At llbean online and Cabelas, and Bass Pro shops, and locally operated stores.

3. Francy

Francy Newbie

Oh yea! I forgot about Bass Pro and LL Bean! I normally shop online as the nearest store is 6 hours away but those are great options! Thanks!

4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Don't forget the local goodwill and thrift shops, it is amazing the finds one can pick up on the cheap. :)

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I shop at all of them [but not all at once]. Cabela's, LL Bean, Bass Pro, MEC [Mountain Equipment Co-op], Adventure Guide, Sail, Canadian Tire and Tilley's; and yes I am a card carrying member of Value Village. I've been astounded with the bargains I can find there. The trick [if there is one] is to know what you are looking for and start searching early.

"I love this stuff..." :)

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I don't have a lot of camping specific clothing. Most of the things I bring with me camping are the same things I wear when I'm not camping. I just make sure to pack things that are practical, durable and preferably inexpensive (in case they get lost or damaged).

7. Northern Dancer

If the truth is to be known - I spend more time looking than buying. But then again there are some kinds of things that a man just has to have. But its true - do I really need an $80.00 quick dry shirt to cook a weenie? On the other hand - if you want good equipment you visit the place that sells good equipment. [But it has to be on sale!]

campforums likes this.
  8. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

I don't shop, I use all the old stuff that I don't wear anymore.

9. campforums

A great way to be economical! :D

10. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

Since I live in a tropical country there is nothing for me to worry about the weather. I don't need a big difference between the clothes I wear at night and day time. I just wear whatever I have that are light and comfortable.

11. Northern Dancer

It must be nice...but in this part of the forest....temperatures can get mighty cold on occasion. Best be prepared for anything. From 33C to - 25C, I've camped in both. :p:cool:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    campforums likes this.
  12. No one has mentioned REI. However, lately my wife has gotten me things from Duluth Trading. The pants, for example, seem pretty expensive, but they out last jeans and the kicker is that when they wear out, send them back and they'll send you a new pair (it's true, I've done it - I'm not sure how many times they will trade them in though). The price suddenly become reasonable. I have a "cool Plus Action Shirt" and an "Armachello shirt" from Duluth. After a couple years, they show no wear. They have long sleeves that roll up and stay in place with a built-in strap. Amazingly, the cool plus is cool when its hot and warm when it's cold. The Armachello is just for hot weather.

13. Northern Dancer

I really don't have any loyalty to any outdoor store, - it depends on your knowledge of prices,stores , brand names and your own particular fancy. You need to know what's in your own immediate area. We just had a SAIL open in our area [a Canadian Cabela's]. But whatever - I let experience be my guide.

I don't always support brand names either - some manufacturers spend more time on advertising than they do improving the product line. I can list a lot of those.

campforums likes this.
  14. Further, if the product was great a year ago, that doesn't mean the brand has maintained their quality. Best to shop locally so you can see what you are getting or be willing to send things back if they don't work for you.

15. Northern Dancer

Ya, that's how I feel too - but I'm still attracted to MEC, SAIL and very much CABALA'S and then there is Venture Guide, Attic, and on and on I go.

16. campforums

I don't think they have any REI stores here in Canada... Maybe I will check them out the next time I am the US, I was just taking a look at their catalog/website and saw a few items I might be interested in :)

Well that is why shopping at brick and mortar stores still has its advantages compared to shopping online because you get to touch the material and get a sense of its quality. When I buy things online I always make sure that I have seen something that is pretty much the same in person before so there are no surprises. Or they have an excellent return policy so even if it's junk I can still return it easily (some online stores it is quite difficult and costly shipping it back).

17. campforums

MEC has been a favourite of mine for years now

18. Northern Dancer

And then there is SAIL in my own backyard so to speak. I liked what I saw. I haven't seen any REI outlets in Canada.

19. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

As much as I shop for top quality gear, clothing is the one thing I refuse to drop big bucks on. Other than my hiking boots, I break all the "rules" when it comes to clothing in the outdoors. I shop for gear at REI a lot because I live near one and work near another. When I asked about cold weather gear, I'm told anything but cotton. So I go look at what they say to wear and I can't see spending $300 for a down jacket or $80 for a pair of pants that both look like they'll wind up full of holes from flying embers when I'm near the fire. For me it's old jeans, old sweatshirts and old coats and jackets to suit the weather. I shop the Salvation Army, various thrift stores and whatever store is having a sale on stuff I'm looking for.

20. Northern Dancer

Are you sure that you are not my long lost brother? Ha ha - it sounds like my MO. I drop big bucks on excellent equipment but I'm not into buying brand name clothing (for the most part). I'm a card carrying member of Value Village.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  21. campforums

I dunno, I find that it is usually pretty easy to figure out what will be warm and what will not. Sure some fabrics may be slightly more warm than others but a couple of layers with a thick cotton sweater on top will be much warmer than any fancy thermal. You can certainly be comfortable buying cheap, I think that with the brand names you are paying more for things like a more flattering fit, better quality stitching, different designs and of course the logo and marketing behind the name. But those things don't necessarily make it any warmer even if they are nice to have.

Draft saved Draft deleted