1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Your ideal outfit for camping?

Discussion in 'Attire' started by ashley0323, Oct 1, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

As mentioned in a couple other posts of mine, I am taking my family camping soon. I am trying to be prepared as much as I can. The weather will be nice, around 70 degrees. What is your ideal outfit to wear while camping? I dont want to pack too many clothes that we will not wear due to not being comfortable.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...that's a tricky question. The outfit that I would wear is determined on where I'm going, the conditions, and the environment etc. My usual stance is to use pants that are long and can be unzipped into shorts. I have a t-shirt, one long shirt, a rain jacket, an umbrella, hat, headlight for night time, hiking boots and regular shoe boots for around camp and canoe shoes. I frequently bring a staff for hiking.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtgENp6kydDoNWizs0y7B8TetDcWap0OA5admmFQU3nniDkQFo5w.jpg

3. scrapper

scrapper Novice Camper

Wherever I go, boots and baggy pants. These are quite suited to almost any environment, unless you're going to a place so hot you'll end up cooking yerself wearing it. Of course, if you're going to do camping in a desert barren land, a hood is a must.

4. Northern Dancer

...and then there is winter camping.

upload_2016-10-2_13-13-6.jpeg upload_2016-10-2_13-13-30.jpeg

5. scrapper

scrapper Novice Camper

Of course, almost forgot about that. Since I I've never went to camping during winter I ignored that kind of eskimo like outfit :D. How's it camping during winter? Do you anticipate harsh climate? I don't know how people are able to endure out there more than 30 minutes under a below zero weather conditions without a heating system besides a bonfire.

6. Northern Dancer

...yes I am a four season camper preferring summer of course. But I do like to get away a few times in the winter [to keep my credibility of being a four season] adventurer. For sure you need to dress properly and correctly - your life counts on it.

IMG_0813.jpg IMG_0510.jpg

First Picture was last April the second picture was in February.
    I have more material on one of the threads.

7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I don't struggle to much with what clothing to take, it's the other stuff I have a problem with.
    70's don't sound to bad. If you spending 2 nights then I would take at least 3 pair of socks. I always like to have a clean pair of socks when I crawl in my bag at night. 2 pair under wear. Not including the pair I wear when I leave for my trip. Socks and underwear take up little room. If I leave for trip with pants on I might take another light weight pair and a pair of shorts. I would take 1 or maybe 2 T shirts other than what I wear when I leave. A thin rain suit. A light jacket, rugged pair of tennis shoes, pair of sandals and maybe a pair of boots. Sometimes I leave an extra change of clothes in vehicle, so I feel more comfortable on way home.

Everything depends on the weather conditions, and if your taking vehicle, watercraft, or hiking.

One thing I always take is a wool army surplus blanket. I find it very comfortable to wrap up in when sitting outside if I feel cold.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  8. Northern Dancer

...when I'm tripping I often wear one wash one. I take along one of those camp towels. I still see some of my colleagues complain they don't have enough room in their pack and then bring out this humongous beach towel. :p

9. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I am kind of torn on those suit like outfits that you see above. I really do not doubt that they are nice and that they serve their purpose well, but I would feel like an idiot wearing one of those, and I probably could not take myself seriously, and that would make for a bad trip. Not for me, I guess.

10. Northern Dancer

-----------------------------------------> :)
    It all depends on the weather. After six days of temperatures at -25C [-13F] believe me - you are ready to be an idiot. :astronaut: But I hear what you are saying - some people do look unseasonably ridiculous.

11. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

When camping, I always wear long pants of thick material like denim or khaki. That is to give me protection against insect and animal bites. When the weather is cool, it is best to wear long sleeves shirt or a light jacket. At night, it is always the good old pajamas that would keep me warm. But when the night is warm, a simple shorts and shirt will do for sleeping.

12. tpicks

tpicks Newbie

You will first have to look at the weather in the time you hope to do the camping. Let's assume the weather is nice, then I will be going with jeans trousers and shirts, boots, head cover. I will also add to the list of wears I am taking to camp pajamas, baggy pants, at least two or three shorts or boxers and a few white T shirts. If I am camping around the winter then I my outfit for camp should entirely winter wears.

13. Northern Dancer

-------------------------------------------------> :)
    Good point @tpicks. It is the environment and weather you find yourself in that dictates what you will wear. One thing though - I don't wear jeans - ever. They are not practical or recommended to wear in our neck of the woods. We are blessed with numerous outdoor stores that sport all kinds of clothing that is light weight, durable, easily washed and dried quickly. That will not happen in the case of jeans.

So...when in Rome do as the Romans do -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM93zyftaCxamtN3o2yT5oSj4qC5NOcsivlfMpjorxA8BHwEvNYw.jpg :)
    :bear: Baden Bear here - [ND's friend]. "Northern Dancer has clothes and equipment for almost every camping/canoeing situation imaginable." BUT - can still dress like a camp bum.

14. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I can't sleep in a shirt or pants of any kind. It feels like I am being strangled the whole night. If I had to do some extreme cold camping then I am sure a would adjust. Last weekend the nights got down to upper 20's. Luckily I sleep great in the bag it only only got a little rough when I woke about 1:30 or 2 and had to go. I grabbed my pull over fleece and slipped on my shoes, and headed for the tent door zipper, and guess what? It hung up. I like to have never got that thing unzipped in time. When I crawled back in the tent I left it unzipped.

15. Northern Dancer

------------------------------------> :)
    HILARIOUS! BUT - I wouldn't be engaged in that kind of behaviour. I have a night bottle and I don't even get out of my sleeping bag. "I ain't goin no where after I bed down unless I absolutely have to."

Again, it all depends on circumstance- like you I don't like being strangled while I'm trying to sleep - so I wear as little as possible. But I do wear something. There's nothing as ridiculous, maybe hilarious as having to move fast in the pink. I've seen that happen once - not a pleasant sight. :bag:

16. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Oh no I do wear my whitey tighties, but I could never sleep in pj's. I'm not even sure if I tried wearing my thermals before. Socks are a plus though. When I started working this midnight shift a friend told me he wears a pair of socks to bed, and he sleeps better. I tried it and it works for me.

I know a person should shy away from wearing cotton in cool damp weather, but it feels so good. Maybe I should check out some synthetic clothing?

Draft saved Draft deleted