1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Wool socks for bigger boys and girls

Discussion in 'Attire' started by Onatah, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

I love to camp. I'm active. Yet, I am also no tiny little princess. I lost 100lbs following bariatric surgery and found myself wanting to be more active than ever. Trouble is, my calves remain bigger than your average gal, I guess, as I can't seem to find good wool socks that don't cut off my circulation. I can let them slouch down but then I have bunched up sock below my boot line. I can't win for losing - literally, when it comes to socks.

Am I alone in this struggle? Fall is here and winter is coming. I'm getting cold just thinking about it.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

That certainly is an interesting circumstance and one that many would not be able to comprehend.

But...there is good news. Most of the mainline outfitters have just about everything one can imagine. You might start by checking our Cabela's, Bass Pro, and LL Bean (I like LL Bean personally). Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised by checking out a local store and find (can you believe this?) a product made in your own country that meets all your needs. Just a suggestion - I understand that diabetic socks could be helpful because the way they are made. Wool socks are not always easy to find because manufacturers use other synthetic materials; that is why we pay attention to the labels. Let us know how you make out. Sport stores might be a good lead - Michigan is noted for hunting and outdoor stuff - there should be an outlet that could help.

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I agree with the above post for places, however, you might want to try using men's socks as they are usually a bit wider and roomier. In the winter I like buying the wool tube socks for warmth and in summer I like the crew socks. If adult men's socks are a bit to big, look for teen boys size 8-9. Also look on Amazon for good buys on colorful wool socks.

4. Onatah

Onatah Novice Camper

Thanks for the feedback.
    Socks for men... why didn't I think to try that? Great idea! My husband has small calves so I never thought to try on any of his. I'm told if I have the surgery to remove some of the varicose veins and such I have an excess of that my calves will trim down. I just figured I wouldn't be the only woman with bigger calves. I was frustrated when I was larger but, as I lost weight and got more active and still had the problem, it's become depressing.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I have these ones that I got at Mark's (it is a store that sells outdoor/work attire in Canada)

I was trying to find the picture before because I could remember I posted about it on CB before

Onatah likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted